- To provide opportunities for personal development and preparation for adult life.
- To strengthen the function of the family as the basic unit of society.
- To encourage democracy through cooperative action in the home and community.
- To encourage individual and group involvement in helping achieve global cooperation and harmony.
- To promote greater understanding between youth and adults.
- To provide opportunities for making decisions and for assuming responsibilities.
- To prepare for the multiple roles of men and women in today’s society.
- To promote family and consumer sciences, family and consumer sciences careers and related occupations.
Family and Consumer Sciences Education focuses on the challenges of living and working in a diverse global society while strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the lifespan.
Goals of Family and Consumer Sciences Education:
To prepare students for family life, work life, and careers related to family and consumer sciences by providing opportunities to develop and apply the knowledge, skills, and behaviors for:
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, school, community, and work settings.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the lifespan.
- Managing resources to meet the needs of individuals and families throughout life.
- Balancing personal, family, school, and work lives.
- Addressing problems of a diverse environment by using critical and creative thinking skills.
- Functioning as effective providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Working independently and cooperatively.
Program Emphasis of FCCLA:
- is the only in-school student organization with the family as its central focus.
- is a career and technical student organization (CTSO) that functions as an integral part of the family and consumer sciences education curriculum and operates within the school system.
- provides opportunities for active student participation at local, state, and national levels.
The colors are red and white. Red symbolizes strength, courage, and determination; personal qualities leading to happiness through a positive self-image. White symbolizes sincerity of purpose and integrity of action: qualities that help individuals build a better tomorrow.
The red rose represents the organization because it gives joy through its beauty and fragrance. It symbolizes a desire for beauty in everyday living.